Friday, September 02, 2005

Heartsick

My heart aches for those along the Gulf Coast. I am, like everyone else watching, appalled at the pictures, videos and stories on the news, but more than that, I am enraged that something like this is even possible in the US in the 21st century.

How is it possible that people are dying in the streets of a major metropolitan city from lack of food and water? Why did this take us by surprise? Who is in charge of the relief effort? Why were these people directed to this area when there was obviously no help once they got there? Why is the mayor of New Orleans running his city from Baton Rouge? How can you lead your city if you desert them like a rat on a sinking ship? How can you calm them and show them that someone is looking out for their welfare?

Those that are going on their 5th day of hell don't have access to the media and have no idea that the rest of us are just as outraged as they are. They have no idea that the country has raised almost $100 million for relief in only 3 days. They are unaware that we are deeply ashamed for the slow response time from our government. President Bush should have been on the ground surveying the damage, calming the masses and leading the people long before now. The news reported that the reason he waited was because it was an unstable enviornment...yet Bush was in the midst of Ground Zero after September 11th within a day. It is shameful and embarrassing how our government has been slow to act to this disaster. We look to our leaders in times of uncertainty for a sense of who is in charge and our government has let us down.

It is heartwarming to see the volunteers, doctors, nurses, National Guardspeople, police officers, fire personnel, and good samaritans who have been there from the beginning working tirelessly to help. It's time for the Federal government to step up and help ease the burden.

4 Comments:

Blogger Monty said...

I turned a corner, and turned to my representatives in Congress. I have written to both Senators and my Congressional representative and told them the following.

I am incredibly upset by what is going on in New Orleans as far as people dying in the street waiting for help, gangs roaming the streets, fighting, looting and raping, and the fact that there seems to be no relief for these people on the ground. If the press can get there, so can relief efforts.

I simply want a complete investigation into what has happened, and how it happened. I understand the increased difficulty in managing a situation when the streets are flooded, but the lack of communications, the lack of leadership, and the lack of relief up to this moment getting to the people who need it.

I don't rant at these people, that won't solve any situation. I just continue with "observations" such as FEMA and/or Homeland Security not having a presence in the city, yet. These are Federal Agencies that I pay for to specifically provide relief in these types of circumstances and I do NOT understand where they are as people wait and die.

I also point out to them that I have voted in every single election they have run in since they have come to office, and that I will most certainly vote in the next elections. They have all written to me when they needed money for their campaigns, now is the time for them to honor their commitments made to me when they ran for office.

I do all this with a smile. I think I have made my point. Time for y'all to become politically active, more active for others. These people know me because I have sent them money when they asked for it, if i agreed with them. They know me from state politics where i am *much* more active.

I am not posting these anywhere else, sort of an exclusive for Ter:

This makes it easy to write to your representative in Congress:

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

A Monty secret, this site is private and gives you as much information as you'd ever want on your reps, and everyone elses too. Place to 'discuss' issues, addresses, phone numbers....

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/home/

Finally, for the Senate, you can either use conress.org, or:

http://www.senate.gov/

That should help you get started. The biggest impact comes from a written letter, but never underestimate the value of e mail. So write a 'letter' to your own reps, e mail to other 'choice' reps.

Patsy Darling, the Congressional Black Caucus has already met with the Secretary of State, the President, and the leaders of both the House and Senate. It had better not be true in real life.

The only other avenue I had that I could reasonably take was through my wife's company. We have volunteered to have people sent here to live in our home. I have a guest bedroom, and a basement, and if Ter sends me her fudge receipe, I'll have food for these folks to eat. Oh, my wife works for a firm that does background investigations when you apply for a clearance, and they are in every state in the country, that's why it was so easy for us to volunteer. Check your local church if your interested.

Sorry to be so long. This one's for you Ter! (salute)

5:00 PM  
Blogger Revee said...

It has been hard to see something like that in your own country. It feels like the tsunami all over again. My heart goes out to everyone on the gulf coast.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Anisa said...

monty...nice try, but all you'll get back is a nice form letter. i know. i used to work for the government.

the representative or senator will NEVER see your letter. no one above the age of 25 in the office will even see it.

i wish we all could have more of a voice...

8:40 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

What a great post, Ter. I agree 100%. Much of what you wrote is what I've been feeing as well.

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home