Wednesday, October 26, 2005

4:44 am

It started in the middle of a party. All of my friends and family were there and from the attention I was getting, it seemed the party was in my honor. I was accepting hugs, kisses and congratulations but for what, I didn't exactly know. Until I caught a glimpse of my reflection in a darkened window...I was wearing an ivory gown with a veil.

I worked my way towards the back of the room where I could see double French doors that opened into another room. I didn't know why at the time, but I had to get to into that room. I was waylaid several times by well-wishers and my faceless new husband, but I was not going to be derailed. I finally made it to the doors and looked through the glass and saw a gathering of people in there, all surrounding one person. I tried to get a glimpse, but I couldn't. I opened the door and everyone turned to look. Some moved out of the way and finally, I saw who held everyone's attention. It was Teddy. He stood up and walked towards me and held out his arms. I cried out his name and ran to hug him. And I felt that warm, safe, secure love flow into me as we cried on each others shoulders. I told him I was surprised to see him and he asked me if I really thought he'd miss my wedding day. I was afraid to break contact with him, fearful that he'd disappear again. I held his hand and asked him why it had been so long since I'd seen him. He told me that just because I hadn't seen him didn't mean he wasn't there. He promised that he's never far away and is always checking in on all of us. It was then that I saw others were there, too. Some I have lost already: Daddy and my friend Blake; and still others that I can't bear to even think about losing: Grandad, Uncle Harry, Grammie... I hugged and kissed them all and tried to get as close to all of them as I could because I had a feeling that this was a special, once in a lifetime gathering that couldn't be taken for granted. Teddy walked me to the door and told me that I had a lot of living yet to do before I could join them. He kissed me on the cheek and opened the door. When I turned to tell him one last time that I loved him, the room was empty.

That's when I woke up, and it was 4:44 in the morning. Some people believe that 4:44am is a magical time when your angels come to visit you. As of 4:44 this morning, I believe it too.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard that 4am is the witching hour. I don't really know what that means, but that's what I've heard.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Hoochie Mama said...

What a dream. I've heard that before about the time. My son woke up one time and came into my room. It was about that time and he told me his great grandma had just visited him. He wasn't scared... he was just sad. He only met her a few times and at her funeral he put a ribbon in her coffin so she would remember him. She's visited him a couple of times in the past couple of years.

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make me cry with some of the entries. How wonderful that he visits. He visits me once in a while, but nothing as "real" a you and mom.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

That is an amazing dream!! I got tears in my eyes reading it. I know that feeling...I've had about a handful of dreams where my Grandma comes to visit me. And every time I don't want to let go of her hand because I want to prolong the visit.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home