Thursday, August 18, 2005

Sing me a memory

I was driving to work this morning and the song "I Will Follow" by U2 was on the radio...instantly I was reminded of three great friends from high school. And it got me to thinking of certain songs and who or what they remind me of...

  • I Will Follow, U2: Tina, Kristen, Steph. We spent so much time lusting after the lead singer of a local cover band that played this song.
  • Runaway, Bon Jovi: Tina, Kristen, Steph (again). We saw them in concert in 1987 and after the entire set and two encores they hadn't played this song yet. I turned to my girlfriends and said "Goddammit! I wanna hear Runaway! Now!" Jon and the boys reappeared for a third encore to the first few bars of Runaway. I felt so powerful. The next thing I said was "I want Jon naked. Now!" Didn't work, unfortunately.
  • Lyin' Eyes, The Eagles: Mom (who I call 'Mere'). She had a ton of custom 8 tracks & cassettes made by a dj friend of hers, so growing up there was always music playing somewhere. And I swear, this song was on every single one. It's one of Mere's favorites.
  • You Dropped a Bomb on Me, The Gap Band: Tina, Kristen, Steph. We were underage, drinking in a local club and dancing on the bar to this oldie but goodie. Never fails to get me out on a dance floor (my bartop dancing days are behind me - for the most part!)
  • Hysteria, Def Leppard: the entire album puts me right back at my senior year: partying at the river, working late on the yearbook, kissing Eric B. in the darkroom while we waited for the film to process, cruising the Plaza in the Silver Bullet...
  • Funny Valentine: Chris. Her mother used to be a singer and she played me a recording of her mother's version. It was so beautiful. Since then, the song has always reminded me of Chris, "...you're my favorite work of art".
  • She Will Be Loved, Maroon 5: Heather. I think it's the phrase: "look for the girl with the broken smile..." because when I met her, she had just lost her mother and her smile was sad. It's getting better every day. Plus, one day I know she will be loved in the way she deserves.
  • Cat's in the Cradle, Harry Chapin: Tina. She and I have been friends since birth and we loved this song. I know it's about a father and son not spending time together, but I can relate it to our friendship as well. We don't see each other nearly as often as I would like. Easy fix, I know, but sometimes life gets in the way.
  • Brave & Crazy, Melissa Etheridge: Dawn. We would play Melissa Etheridge on all of our roadtrips. We'd be hauling ass on I-70 heading to Colorado, singing at the top of our lungs.
  • It's Your Love, Tim McGraw w/ Faith Hill: Bobby F. This was our song. It was so hard being 1300 miles apart, but this song always made it a little easier. Wonder if he remembers...
  • Amazing Grace: Grandad. When we would go to church with them we would sing this song. I would stand on the pew beside Grandad and his rich voice always made me feel comforted.

It's amazing how songs can take you back...

5 Comments:

Blogger Robb said...

Great post!!! I was just thinking about that subject the other day. I might have to do a post of my memory songs. It would be great to see others do the same.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Monty said...

Ah, the joys and magic of music

standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona, such a fine sight to see
it's a girl, My Lord, in a flat bed Ford, slowin' down to take a look at me.

pure poetry

12:42 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Good times!!! I love identifying certain time periods and memories with songs. Bon Jovi...yum!

Oh, and the "Hysteria" album totally takes me back to the end of my senior year and the beginning of my freshman year in college.

Great post! :)

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great list. You show how your family and friends touch your life in a very intimate way - with music.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Charlie Mc said...

love the list! Music is truly a magical thing...can take you back and make you feel exactly what you were feeling when you first heard/song was popular....

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home