Wednesday, August 17, 2005

A letter to Daddy

Dear Daddy,

I can't believe it's been 25 years.

I sometimes wonder, do you recognize me when you look down from Heaven? I'm not the little girl I was in the summer of 1980. My skinned knees, stringy blonde ponytail and innocence are gone now. I wonder if you see the parts of me that I want to keep hidden from the world: my shortcomings, my failures, my disappointments. I wonder if you are proud of the things I have accomplished? I wonder if you know of the dreams I have yet to realize. I wonder if you know what path my life might have taken if you hadn't died. Would things be different? I wonder if you know that mom gave me your wedding ring on my 21st birthday. And I wonder if you know that I never take it off. I wonder if you know that everyone sees you in my dimples and slightly crooked smile.

I wonder if you know what a great mom Kelly is. I look at your grandchildren and am sad that they only know you as Grandpa Kermit, like a character in stories they've heard all their lives. C is just 10 1/2, still such a baby in my eyes, but then, the same age I was when you died. He has his Grandpa's deep-set, hazel eyes that crinkle into almost nothing when he smiles, just like his mothers do. I wonder if you can see that L has a small gap between her front teeth, just like you did. She also has your quick wit and dry sense of humor, just like I do. Do you smile and shake your head at her silly questions like you did when I asked the same ones? I wonder if you know that Kelly gave them middle names that start with 'D' in honor of you. Have you already met the children I will have? Do you already know what parts of them will be parts of you?

I wonder if you were hurt because we love and looked at Teddy as a dad, too. I wonder if you were there to welcome him when he died and to thank him for looking after your girls. I wonder if you realize what a strong woman mom is; she doesn't see it, but I do. I wonder if you know how much it means to me that you visit me in my dreams. I wonder if you know I would give anything for one day to see you through the eyes of an adult instead of a child.

I wonder if you can feel how much I still miss you everyday. And I wonder if you saw me cry myself to sleep last night because it's been 25 years since that Tuesday afternoon changed my life forever.

I love you, Daddy.

Terri Lynn

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You post literally brought me to tears. It's such a beautiful letter to your father. I'm sorry that you lost him so young. I can't even imagine.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Robb said...

I hate to admit it because I consider myself to be a pretty tough guy, but I am fighting back tears from your post. I am so sorry for your pain.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Anisa said...

what a beautiful, painful letter. i am so sorry for your loss.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

Oh my gosh...I am totally in tears right now.

That was a BEAUTIFUL letter, Terrilynn. Thank you for sharing it with us. I'm certain your dad can feel your love. And I am sorry for the pain you feel. (hugs)

2:20 PM  
Blogger kcterrilynn said...

Thanks everyone. And my apologies, I didn't mean to make y'all cry, I just needed to get it out. And now I feel so much better that it's out there. I almost didn't post it, I was afraid it was too personal, but then I came to the realization that most people who blog do: this is personal, it's about me, so by design, it's very personal.

Thank you so much for the support, it means a lot.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

No need to apologize about the tears. :) You moved me with your letter and I found it incredibly loving. It's rare to catch a glimpse inside someone's heart. So for that I thank you for being so open and personal.

5:38 PM  
Blogger tinyhands said...

I imagine it would be easy for him to answer 'yes' to all but one of those questions. I don't imagine he'd want you to apologize for loving Teddy too.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Charlie Mc said...

wow, that was very well written letter. Thanks for sharing with us. :)

7:06 AM  
Blogger Robb said...

Ditto what Marie said.

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez, just took the time to read this and had to hold back the tears since I'm at work. I can't even imagine what I'll do if/when my parents die. You obviously have become the woman your dad would be so proud to say "she's my daughter!"

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home