Thursday, August 04, 2005

No news is good news

(Warning: rant ahead) I'm not sure why I'm such a news junkie when it usually just pisses me off.

The Runaway Bride is getting married. Supposedly. Now that isn't what set me off, it was the fact that the happy couple is registered for more wedding gifts. First of all, the bride and groom are both in their early 30's, and I assume have lived on their own in furnished, functioning homes for several years. Why do couples feel they are entitled to all new stuff once they're engaged? Like a $250 ice bucket? Or a $100 dollar lasagna pan? (I make a killer lasagna in a pan I got at Target for less than ten bucks.) It's getting ridiculous. There are engagement parties, bridal showers, couples showers, bachelorette/bachelor parties...to all of which you are expected to bring a gift. Not to mention the actual wedding gift. Don't even get me started on baby showers... So, my point originally was about Jennifer Wilbanks, right? She has stated the following as reasons she ran: the entire wedding was overwhelming (bullshit); she felt pressured (bullshit) by the size of the wedding (bullshit); didn't want to let her family down (bullshit); was confused and didn't know what to do (bullshit). But, bullshit meter aside, if any of the above reasons are true, then why is she planning the same wedding but on a slightly smaller scale? Do you suppose this means instead of 600 guests there will only be 550? Just do me a freakin' favor and head down to the courthouse, get married and get out the hell out of my life.

About a week ago, there was a break-in at the headquarters for the Kansas City chapter of Habitat for Humanity. They took a safe that was holding over $6,000 in cash. What kind of person steals from a not-for-profit organization?! There is a special place in hell for that guy.

Debra Lafave (teacher in Tampa who had sex with her student) is now using the old 'I didn't know what I was doing, I was insane at the time' defense. What-the-fuck-ever! I have never looked at a 14 year old boy and thought, "Wow, I gotta get me some of that!" Not even when I was 14. Then there's her lawyer, John Fitzgibbons. He rejected a plea because it involved significant jail time, which he found unacceptable. Excuse me? A 24 year old woman has sex with a 14 year old boy and jail time is unacceptable?! But wait, it gets better: "To place Debbie into a Florida state women's penitentiary, to place an attractive young woman in that kind of hell hole, is like putting a piece of raw meat in with the lions,'' Fitzgibbons said. Dude, she had sex with a 14 year old boy, she didn't get busted for jaywalking!! Lock her ass up and let's move on.

And let me see if I can get this straight: OJ, (can't believe I forgot OJ!!), Michael Jackson, Kobe Bryant, and Robert Blake go free, yet Martha Stewart not only serves 5 months, but has her house arrest time extended by 3 weeks because she rode an ATV around her property, attended a yoga class and shopped at a bookstore. Yep, that makes sense.

And speaking of things that don't make sense, there was one thing on the news this morning that didn't angry up the blood, in fact it made me very sad: Susan Torres, the 26 year old woman who has been brain dead since mid-May died yesterday. She was taken off life support after giving birth to Susan Ann Catherine Torres on August 2nd. What a mix of emotions her family must be feeling... May God watch over them.

5 Comments:

Blogger Charlie Mc said...

great post, Martha definitely got screwed! You should add OJ to the people who walked off free, that bastard!

Wilbanks should be in jail for what she did!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

Good post!! The Wilbanks scenario irks me and I just wish I never have to hear about it again. I have no sympathy for her and I think it takes alot of nerve to expect anyone to give gifts or to even attend her upcoming supposed nuptials. whatever.

I agree with Charlie on throwing OJ into that crazy mix!

How sad about Susan Torres. That breaks my heart.

1:59 PM  
Blogger kcterrilynn said...

Can't belive I forgot OJ! I still remember where I was when I heard the verdict...

3:54 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

I keep seeing that same anonymous spammer on various blogs!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Robb said...

For some reason your blog isn't displaying properly in my browser, but I managed to read this post anyway.

I feel you on the Wilbanks thing. I work less than a mile from where the command post was set up. A lot of people got involved in trying to find her. She disgraced a man, a family, and an entire community. I still can't believe any guy would marry someone who would let her family think she was dead.

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home