Monday, August 01, 2005

Are you ready for some football?!

I am, by all accounts, a football fanatic. I was not born this way, the blame lays squarely on the shoulders of my second dad, Ted. He very bravely moved into a house with two teenaged girls who knew nothing of sports and had no desire to learn. During the first football season we spent as a blended family, my two new brothers would come over to watch the away games with their dad, while my mom, sister and I went shopping. It was nirvana for everyone.

During the next few football seasons, my brothers didn't make it for every game and Ted was forced to watch alone in the family room. I started to feel sorry for Teddy watching the games alone, so I started hanging out with him during game time. Mind you, I wasn't watching a lick of the action, I was reading, drawing, or doing my homework. I vividly remember in 1987 my dad cussing about a penalty called against Christian Okoye and I put my book down in time to see the replay. I asked my dad a few questions, and boom! a new football fan was born.

My first game at Arrowhead was in 1988. I can still remember the hum of excitement I had when I entered the stadium with Teddy. Our family seats are primo - 50 yard line, 5 rows behind the Chiefs bench. I had heard my dad and brothers brag about the location before, but I didn't appreciate it until I walked out of the concourse and looked out. The green of the grass, the crisp colors of the uniforms, the white of the field markings, the orange of the down markers...pure poetry as far as I was concerned. I had never seen anything so beautiful. I took my nephew to his first game two years ago, and he had that same look in his eyes. Ahh, another football fan is born. Although when I take him with me, I have to watch my language. We have a deal where he charges me $.25 a bad word. So far, I'm paying for his first two years of college. LOL Not true, actually to date it's only cost me $5.00. (Hey, it was a bogus offensive holding call in Tony Gonzalez).

Anyway, we usually receive our tickets in the mail in mid-July, but this year they mailed them later, and my brothers and I were starting to panic. All is well, they arrived this weekend. Time to fire up the grill, chill down the beer, bring out the cold-weather gear and hunker down for some football! Detroit or bust!

2 Comments:

Blogger Marie said...

That's a cool story about how you came to love football. It's pretty exciting to see a football game at the stadium. For years though, I've felt misplaced because Los Angeles hasn't had a football team in FOREVER. LOL

I will watch random games and enjoy it, but I am not a fan of any one team. :-)

10:28 AM  
Blogger Charlie Mc said...

Chiefs had some good teams in the late 80's-mid 90's....Nick Lowery was a sharp shooter with that leg....Okoye the "Nigerian Nightmare"....good football out there!

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home