Tuesday, July 19, 2005

I am woman, hear me roar

Why is it that most men say they want an independent woman, but then when they're faced with one, usually change their tune?

I went out to lunch the other day with my ex-boyfriend. We've been broken up for almost a year now, but we're still friends. Sort of. It's not like we hang out every day, but we do talk on the phone every few weeks, and we go to lunch quite a bit. Anyway, we were at lunch and I asked him what he thought our biggest 'couple' issue was. He said I was too strong-minded for my own good. How is that possible? Besides, according to him, he was attracted to my independence in the first place (second only to my ass, but that's another entry.) I don't get it. He was attracted to my independence in the first place, then it became a problem because he said he felt I didn't need him. I'm sorry, but really, I didn't need him in my life, I wanted him in my life. I guess he couldn't understand the difference. (What got us started on the conversation was that a guy I had dated briefly, just stopped calling. God, I hate that. But then he resurfaced a few weeks ago, and I told him that I had no interest. And my ex-boyfriend thought I was too hard, too mean. What the hell?! People will treat you how you allow them to treat you, and I am not a doormat.) And it just go me thinking, is there really a difference or am I just being to hard?

I am not a clingy girlfriend. I point out good-looking women. I can balance my own checkbook. I am intelligent. I know what a nickel defense looks like. I make a great lasagna. I am addicted to lip gloss, lacey underwear & bras, and shoes. I make more than enough money to support myself. I can check my own oil and change a tire. I am adventurous when it comes to sex, and am not afraid to initiate it. I have opinions on politics, religion, sex, and astro-turf. I wear garters on occassion. I drink beer and cuss like a sailor during Chiefs games. I like holding hands in public. I don't mind if you go to a strip club, hell, I'd want to go with you once in a while. I don't mind boys night out. I know the difference between a good Merlot and a great Merlot. I play a great game of Texas Hold 'Em. I've been known to cry at commericals with babies, puppies and kittens. I own and use power tools. I'm a girly-girl and look great in a skirt and heels. I usually have at least three brackets going for March Madness. I break out into goose bumps while listening to opera. I have an outer shell (don't most people?), but for the guy who takes a chance and looks behind it, there is a world of honesty, loyalty, and love to be found.

I want a man to share my life, not control it. Why is that so difficult for some guys to understand?

4 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

You go girl! Very empowering!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Charlie Mc said...

Great post. I think it's difficult for the wrong guys, the guys you don't want, to understand. When you come across the right man, he'll more than appreciate all you have to offer and he'll reciprocate 1000x over.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Wow, that's a great post. You took the words right out of my mouth, actually. I'm enjoying your site very much. Thanks for stopping by earlier. :)

3:35 PM  
Blogger kcterrilynn said...

Holden:

First, perfect? Me? Aww, shucks, I'm blushing :-)

Second, you came up with some great questions/comments...not that I'm surprised. I would like to answer 'yes' to all of them, but what you think about youself is sometimes different than the way others see you, don't you agree?

Yes, I am very opinionated (how could you tell? LOL) but I like to think that I listen to other opinions as well; that's what makes a good debate (I like to discuss things, not argue).

Third, your questions have given me something to ponder. Maybe an addendum to the original post is necessary.

Take care,
Ter

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home