Monday, January 29, 2007

DMT do Golden

Saturday was snowy, cold and generally nasty for the sixth weekend in a row. Rather than go Postal on our fellow Coloradans, Dawn, Mark and I decided we'd better embrace the snow with a Pub Crawl in Golden. There were no clear rules at the beginning, but after each bar, we started to make some up.

First, we hit The Mother Ship for free beer (AKA Coors Brewery for The Short Tour). We decided to act like tourists and take pictures like a bunch of goobers.



Next up was The Buffalo Rose. And we decided that we could only have one beer per bar, and it had to be the cheapest beer they had. The one beer per bar only lasted until we discovered that The Buff has $4.00 Keystone pitchers on the weekend. Bring it, baby!



A little further down the street is Ace Hi Tavern, the home of the PBRona. But according to our rules, PBR in a bottle was too pricey, so we settled for Coors Light pitcher for $4.00.

Another block up is a sweet hotel called Table Mountain Inn. It's a little hoitey-toitey, but we were not to be detered from hitting every bar in DoGo (Downtown Golden). So we thought, what the hell and went in. No happy hour specials. No cheap beer. No wanting to play in our reindeer games. $3 for a draft. Bastards. So, Dawn did the only thing you can do in that situation:



It's the three straws that makes it art.

Directly across the street is Woody's. A place with great pizza, KU beating the crap out of CU on the big screen and a hot bartender named Derrick. Unfortunately, we were too enamoured of Hot Derrick to take his picture...but don't fret, we're definitely headed there again.

Half a block down from Woody's, is a great little place called Blue Canyon. I used to hang out there several nights a week before a) I got a full time job and b) my friend Matt was banned for life. (Something about stripping mother-ass naked on their smoking patio...I'm not sure of all the details, it was the one night I wasn't there with him.) Anyway, by this time, we thought maybe we should "liberate" some things from the bars we visited. (Sorry, mom!) Mark started things off with a bottle of Tabasco Habanero sauce. I took a picture with my Razr, but it's more than a wee bit blurry. Which is funny, because when I took it, it looked good to me. Obviously, I was a wee bit blurry too.

After committing condiment theft, we headed across the street to the newly re-opened Captiol Grill. There was a wedding party there and they didn't really seem to want to share their spotlight with our DoGo Pub Crawl, so we bailed after sharing two beers.

Last stop was at The Spot. By this time, none of us could look another beer in the eye, so we splurged on mixed drinks. And walked (weaved, stumbled, whatever...) outta there with Dawn's purse bulging with two sugar/Sweet & Low holders, a set of salt & pepper shakers and a handful of coasters. If only Mark would've created a diversion, we would've made off with the double sided napkin dispenser too...

With our objective realized, we decided we'd better head home. It was a day to remember, that's for sure. At least what I remember of it.

8 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

If you can get rid of the snow for one stinking weekend, I want to come visit. But I'm not coming there to be cold, Terri. ;)

Sounds like a blast!

4:48 PM  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

Ewwww! In my drinking days Coors (rhymes with sewers) and PBR (Paint Branch Redneck) were the two yukkiest beers available!
I used to drink Bud and Busch, Molson and Michelob!
But is sounds like you had fun! And saved some money on condom-ints!

6:13 PM  
Blogger kcterrilynn said...

Heather: trust me, you want to come visit, but wait until Spring. It's simply gorgeous!! And Golden is a blast!!

Mark: before I moved here, I was a Bud Light girl, but since Coors is local, it actually tastes better than it did in KC. Weird, but true!

8:04 AM  
Blogger Carl Spackler said...

i haven't been on a bar crawl in a long time.

hoorrayy for $4 pitchers

boo for drinking a beer with straws

horray for stealing condiments!

10:39 AM  
Blogger kcterrilynn said...

Carl: if you come to see me, I promise I won't make you drink beer through a straw...

11:05 AM  
Blogger Hedy De Vine said...

a pitcher of beer for only $4?! sign me up!

11:14 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Count me in for spring. I'll need a little vacay by then and should have money burning a hole in my pocket!

4:08 PM  
Blogger kcterrilynn said...

Hedy: Yup, $4.00. The entire day didn't cost more than twenty bucks. It was awesome!

Heather: That'd be awesome!! Southwest or Frontier usually has the best deals on flights.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home