Friday, January 26, 2007

The Club

I finally watched last week's episode of Gray's Anatomy. I recorded it because I knew that George's dad was going to die, and I wasn't sure I wanted to watch it. It sounds crazy I know, but even TV dads dying takes me back to the two days, 20 years apart, that my dads died. Anyway, I'm glad I watched it, because the final scene between George and Cristina summed up years of feelings for me in a few sentences.

George is standing in front of the hospital. Cristina walks up to him in the obvious cold and tells him, "There's a club. The dead dads club, and you can't be in it until you're in it. You can try to understand, you can sympathize, but until you feel that loss… My dad died when I was nine." George nods slightly. Cristina: "George, I'm really sorry you had to join the club." George, his voice raw, tells her, "I don't know how to exist in a world where my dad doesn't." Cristina: "Yeah, that never really changes."

And it's true. That feeling never fully goes away.

6 Comments:

Blogger MarkD60 said...

Pretty true, my Dad just died a few months ago.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I really hope that I never have to join the club. My dad makes me crazy, but I can't imagine a world without him.

My heart goes out to you Terri, and you too, Mark.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Southern Sweetheart said...

Very true...they never go away...I lost my dad 6 years ago...

10:09 PM  
Blogger Carl Spackler said...

dear schmoopie,

your mom read my blog?!?!? are you serious? i don't think my mom knows i even have a blog (and for good reason!)

i'm glad she found it entertaining. perhaps i need to bring it back...

10:03 AM  
Blogger My Boring Best said...

Wow. That was sad. Really sad.

Sorry you have to be a part of that club. I hate to even think about it.

12:40 PM  
Blogger kcterrilynn said...

Mark: my heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

Heather: Some days it just hits you between the eyes.

Sweetheart: I'm sorry to hear that.

Carl: Yes, she read it...what can I say, she's always been a bit twisted. I know I miss your blog, but if you were to email me once in a while that would make it better.

Kisses,
Schmoopie

Boring: Thanks. I miss them both every damn day.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home