Monday, September 26, 2005

Putting it all out there

Marie brought up an interesting topic last week: who has access to your blog? She wondered if people's family, friends, etc. read their blogs or if they keep it truly anonymous.

I've thought about that too...wondering after giving the link to people if it would be better to keep my thoughts/ramblings/rants to myself. But after thinking about it, I realized that I want my friends and family to have access to this part of me. I think you show different facets of yourself to different people in your life. I mean, my family sees me one way and my friends see me entirely different. This gives them a look at a new side of me. After giving the link to my mom and sister, a friend told me how brave she thought that was and asked if I thought it would change what I posted here. It hasn't. I still cuss (more than Mere would like, I'm sure) and still talk about sex, drinking, going out. They read it daily and pass the posts onto other people and that's just fine with me. I'm not going to self-censor anything that I put in here and I don't expect anything that I've written to be held against me. This is who I am: all sides of me. My family side, my friend side, my self-doubting side, my self-confident side, my good-Lord-I'm-so-bored-at-work side, my sad side, my funny side, my political side...all out there for the world to see.

I started blogging because I wanted an outlet for all of the things that roll around in my head. I wasn't really sure what direction it was going to go (I'm still not!) and when I started, I had no intention of giving my URL to anyone in my 'real' life. I thought I would keep it as just something for me. Then I outed myself at a girls night soon after I started blogging, and I'm not sorry. Yes, there are things I will not blog about. And yes, once in a while, I admit, I may hesitate to write something because of who might read it, but it goes in anyway. I promised myself that if I decide to write about it, it will be truly honest and not white-washed. Take me or leave me, I will not hold back anything about me...regardless of who's checking in.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hoochie Mama said...

I've only given my address to a few friends. If someone finds out about it I'll give it to them. I have had a few people get upset about my posts. I just tell them that I'm going to keep posting my feelings. I'm not going to censor it for them. It is my personal journal. If they are going to get upset by it, than they shouldn't read it.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

I think it's great that you have your friends and family see all sides of you via your blog. My brother is the only one in my family who has my URL. He reads it with caution. ;) But overall he likes seeing this side of me as well. He says that I sound very much like how I am in real life, which is reassuring. Because that's what I wanted.

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not as brave as you. I've mentioned my blog to a couple of my friends, but I don't want them to have access to it. My blog is for me only (and of course, all of you) and it's not something I want to share with them. I don't know why but I want it to be private.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Monty said...

Can I ask what caused this post or is it just not knowing who is reading it? I wrote a blog for a week, but I doubt I'll ever do that again. Too much work.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home