Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I love you more than marshmallows

Over the past few days I’ve been overcome by bouts of homesickness that seem to take my breath away. I miss home, I miss my friends and I miss my family, which is only natural. Making new friends is exciting and fun but I can’t deny a longing for those who know and understand me, those who know my story already, those who have grown with me...I miss the familiar. Stupid, isn’t it since I was the one who craved such a change? Stupid that I should complain about it, right? Stupid that I should be so heartsick when I brought this on myself. Yes, it would be stupid of me only if I regret my move here...and I don’t. It’s just that as the newness wears off, reality starts to shine through. Yep, reality...got to find a job, reality; got to find my groove, reality; got to make my place, reality.

The last two weeks have been especially tough because my friends Dawn and Mark have been in Europe and I have been totally on my own. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve made several good friends and I’ve spent time with them, but I still can’t shake the feeling that I’m totally on my own. Until yesterday. Yesterday I got a letter from Dodie, my 9 year old niece...and it made me realize that regardless of where I go in this world, there are those who love me and support me no matter what. In the midst of feeling sorry for yourself it is possible to forget such a thing. But there it was yesterday, this gift in my mailbox, just lying there among the junk mail and bills...this perfect, innocent letter of love and sweetness, complete with a crayon rendering of a teddy bear and signed at the bottom with "I love you more than marshmallows." How can you feel sorry for yourself when someone loves you more than marshmallows?

So, this is for Dodie: thank you, sweet girl, for making me smile, I love you more than marshmallows too...and I can’t wait until Thanksgiving, either. I miss you and Booger Butt more than I ever thought possible.
Love you both to the moon and back,
Aunt Terri

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Mattie (Annettes friend):

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Mattie (Annette’s friend):

You can delete that last comment as I goofed (OOPS!).

Moving to a new place can be a bit like a rollercoaster; you have your ups and downs. The good thing is, sooner or later, the ride ends...things return to normal.

I love that something so gentle and pure can put things back into perspective. That's Pokers way of telling you that you have a better hand than you think.

Even when you throw a rock into the middle of a pond, it takes time for it to settle back down. Give your situation a little more time and you will find yourself in normalcy.

I like that you are a Jane Austen fan. Wasn’t Pride and Prejudice such a great movie?

10:28 AM  
Blogger Carl Spackler said...

what a great post! assuming all goes according to plan i'll be an uncle in April. i'm really looking forward to it since i was the youngest in my family.

hope you have a great day!

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mere' said....

We miss you too "little one"

1:00 PM  
Blogger afromabq said...

how can you not be homesick? change is fun and good, but at some point we want what comforts us....family....friends! it's ok that you feel this and it's NOT stupid, it's normal. it'll get better though...take it from a navy brat, who married army...i was away lots through my life but family and friends, they'll always be there. hugs and kisses kc!

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Chica,
We miss you too sweetie!
And dont worry, your getting right back into your groove...its nice to finally see you blogging! Its what us lonely people back home do to be part of your new and exciting life! Im super proud of you girlie and Its gonna be fine. Just keep your eye to the mountains and breath in that fresh clean air everyday( its so good for the soul,remember why you are there).
Love you so much,
Heather

9:31 AM  
Blogger kcterrilynn said...

Normie: Thanks...I'd never thought of it as courageous. Implusive, reckless, rash...but never courageous. :)

Mattie: I love the rock in the water scenario. It does help put things in perspective.

And yes, I love P & P (The A&E version is the best) but nothing will top the book. Love, love, love it!

Spacks: Congrats on your impending Unclehood. There is nothing like nieces/nephews. It's all the fun with none of the responsiblity!

Mama:Back 'atcha. More than you know.

Toes: I know it'll get better; I was just feeling particularly down that day. As an Army/Navy gal, I'll totally take your word on it.

Heatherby: Couldn't have made it this far without knowing all of you are behind me. Love you too, babe.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that it too cute. you are a very lucky girl to have someone love you more than marshmellows.

i'm proud of you, kc, for taking a chance. feeling homesick is par for the course, but you'll get thru it.

keep on keeping on.

kt

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home