Sunday, October 08, 2006

Sail on, Silvergirl

Sail on silvergirl,
Sail on by.
It's your time to shine.
All your dreams are on their way
See how they shine?
~ Simon & Garfunkel

Random thoughts and observations about my first month in Denver:

  • I walked out of the grocery store the other day and walked right past my car...didn't recognize it with Colorado plates on it. Yep, I'm a special kind of stupid.
  • I've sunburned my lips twice in the past few weeks before I figured out that Blistex is not your friend. There is no sunscreen in it so it acts like a freakin' intensifier for the sun. I had Angelina Jolie lips for two weeks. And trust me, Angelina Jolie lips only look good on Angelina Jolie.
  • I now know what a 'swamp cooler' is.
  • Don't go to Coors for the short tour after 3pm on a Friday. All the students from Colorado School of Mines are there sucking back the free beer.
  • The smoking ban in bars is the best freakin' thing EVER!!!! No more smelling like an ashtray after going out.
  • I now keep a baseball hat and a hoodie in my car...you just never know when you're going to need one or both. It's almost like I'm a native.
  • I drove to Boulder the other day and spent several hours at this great little Irish pub drinking Boddingtons and writing in my journal. The weather was simply gorgeous so they opened up the floor to ceiling windows and I was once again struck by how much I love this place.
  • I'm heading downtown tonight to see my friend Matt's band play (yes, I've made friends). I've never been downtown on my own before... Anyone wanna bet on how lost I get?
  • While driving to Golden yesterday I saw the weirdest thing: there was a beach ball just rolling down the middle of the street. No one was around so I've no idea where it came from. Strange sight to see.
  • Every morning when I open up the window blinds and I see the mountains in the distance I say "Good morning, mountains." Is that weird?
  • Cheering against the Broncos is not the smartest thing to do here. Not that that's going to stop me from doing so.
  • There is a great Cantina with a killer happy hour and an even better margarita. Good news: it's two blocks from my house and I'm already a regular. Bad news: it's two blocks from my house and I'm already a regular.

7 Comments:

Blogger My Boring Best said...

Wow. It sounds like you are really starting to fit in there and feel like you are at home. That's great. I'm happy for you.

I've never been there before. One of these days, I'm gonna come out and visit you!

Jim

7:42 PM  
Blogger tinyhands said...

Just a matter of time before I get used to addressing your correspondence to DTL.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Carl Spackler said...

3 things...
1- i love boddingtons! i bought a 4 pack this weekend (they don't seem to sell them in 6 or 12 packs). i think we are mean't to be together.
2- saying good morning to the mountains is a little weird.
3- i can't wait to have some drinks at the cantina!

10:54 AM  
Blogger afromabq said...

kc, that's funny about the lips! downtown denver is rough....did you get lost? love that you cheer against the broncos (too bad it didn't help last night though - eeerrrrr!) yeah, two blocks away is very dangerous! :)

8:06 AM  
Blogger kcterrilynn said...

Jim- You've got an open invitation... It's a beautiful place. Everyone should come visit.

Tiny- DTL just doesn't have the same ring to it, but for you, I'll answer to it.

Spacks- Babe, it took you this long to figure out we belong together?! The only problem I see is you're still in VA. Better get your ass out here for a visit, pronto. I promise I won't make you say good morning to the mountains.

Toes- Actually, getting to LoDo wasn't such a big deal, but leaving I got all turned around and it took me 45 minutes to find the highway. I was PISSED!!! And I was stone cold sober too, so that wasn't the problem. Just the fact that I'm directionally challenged.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Aliecat said...

Ahem...this is a Swamp Cooler

5:38 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

I've been meaning to drop by and leave a message since Sunday.

That was beautiful.

Ty Law jumping a route and intercepting a fourth-quarter pass. Greg Wesley spiraling into Anquan Boldin and dislodging the ball on third and 13.

Larry Johnson motoring 78 yards with a screen pass that set up the game-winning field goal. Offensive coordinator Mike Solari mixing patience with aggression and producing 23 points.

The Chiefs digging out from a 14-point first-quarter deficit and a 10-point fourth-quarter disadvantage. Lawrence Tynes kicking field goals with the precision of Tiger Woods swinging a 9-iron in a major on Sunday. Samie Parker caressing a well-thrown Damon Huard lob and tapping two feet in the back of the end zone.


Not only that, but our defense is now rated #4 in the NFL. How the hell did that happen?

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home