Saturday, July 29, 2006

I'm coming out...

In light of Lance Bass' brave announcement earlier this week, I finally found the guts to make an announcement of my own. While some of you may be shocked by what I'm about to say, there are others who suspected this all along...*AHEM*

I, kcterrilynn, am a heterosexual. I've known this about myself for quite some time, probably as far back as John B., my 1st grade crush. Then, in 4th grade, after kissing Danny V. on a dare, I was certain I liked boys. I never hid the fact that I was attracted to guys, but it was something that just wasn't discussed. I want to be perfectly clear that I am not ashamed of my heterosexuality, it's simply part of who I am.

(Disclaimer: The above is my (drunken) attempt at satire, not a dig at Lance Bass or homosexuals)
**********
Why do people care so much who other people are sleeping with? Especially famous people. Did going public really change anyone's mind about Lance's music? Did it make a hard-core N*Sync-er rip down posters or torch CDs? Or maybe upon hearing the news, a previous non-fan suddenly couldn't wait to download 'Bye, Bye, Bye' to his iPod. Of course not, so why the big deal? In the mid/late 80's I had a thing for George Michael (what...you gonna make something of it?!), the 5 o'clock beard, the bad ass cowboy boots with the silver tips, the artfully torn Levi's...sigh. Um, right, so yeah, George Michael... Since I thought he was hot before he came out, I still thought he was hot after. In fact, I still think he's hot ( yeah, I said it) and I own several of his CDs.
Personally I think straight people should be 'outed' as well. Put a few heteros on the spot and ask them to justify their lifestyle, ask them when they first knew they were 'that way,' ask them to live in a country that denies their relationship legal acknowledgement, ask them to explain the risk of coming out: risk of losing a job, risk of losing family and friends, ask them to accept being targeted for hate crimes simply because of who they love...ridiculous, right? Bet your ass it is, yet our society expects homosexuals to do all of those things and more.
So still I wonder: why do some people care so much who other people sleep with?

3 Comments:

Blogger Carl Spackler said...

i think the media is to blame. rather than provide us with just the facts and let us make our own opinions...they force their views on us. it really is a shame.

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cuz they're probably not gettin' any and have nothing better to do.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Ooooo, George Michael was my crush back in the day too.

Maybe it was that song, "I want your sex" that made us all so nosy about who or what other people are doing...?

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home