Friday, June 30, 2006

I...

I AM: a daughter, a sister, a granddaughter, an Aunt, a sister-in-law, a friend.

I SAID: all of the things to Teddy I was afraid to leave unsaid, even though he knew them already.

I WANT: for those I love to have lives filled with great blessings, good fortune, kindness, daily laughter, faith, warmth, comfort, grand successes, and everlasting love.

I NEED: for my family and friends to know I couldn’t survive without their unconditional love.

I WISH: I had more memories of Daddy. Since I was so young when he died, I’m sure most of my memories are really images I’ve made up to go with stories I’ve heard over the years.

I HATE: intolerance of any kind. I don’t understand why some people find it necessary to press their beliefs/biases/prejudices onto others.

I MISS: sailing: Thursday Night Races at Davis Island Yacht Club, crossing the Bay from Tampa to St. Pete, leisurely trips down the coast to Key West...I miss being on the water. Must be the Pisces in me.

I FEAR: lots of things, both silly and serious. Silly fears: spiders, grates in the sidewalks, swimming in lakes... Serious fears: something happening to my nieces and nephews, growing old alone, never becoming a mother.

I HEAR: the quiet in the cacophony; the noisy riot of the silence.

I WONDER: at how, right now, in the middle of childhood before life has a chance to tell them differently, the futures of my nieces and nephews are truly limitless.

I REGRET: several things in my past, and I’m sure I’ll regret several more things in my future. I think having regrets is the nature of life, but refusing to dwell on them is the nature of living.

I AM NOT: always as confident and self-assured as I think I am.

I DANCE: because Gloria Estefan was right, the rhythm is going to get you.

I SING: any and every where: loudly in my car with the top down, along to Muzak in the grocery store, in the shower (either ‘The Star Spangled Banner’ or ‘Brandy (You’re a Fine Girl)’), in my office...

I AM NOT ALWAYS: the person my parents raised me to be.

I MAKE: a fantastic lemon cheesecake.

I WRITE: because I can’t not write.

I CONFUSE: the difference between ‘affect’ and ‘effect,’ especially if I’m talking/writing fast, and don’t slow down for a nano-second to concentrate. It’s frustrating since I really do know their correct usage.

I SHOULD: trust my instincts more often. Occasionally, I tend to doubt and debate myself, questioning my first inclination and ignoring my gut, sometimes to my dismay, but the times I trust myself, it’s usually the right decision.

I START: running the hot water at least 5 minutes before I step foot in the shower. I like the bathroom nice and steamy.

I FINISH: cards/letters by signing them ‘Love you, Ter,’ except Grandad’s. His letters get the full treatment: ‘I love you, always. Terri Lynn.’ With a few exceptions for friends, that side of the family are the only ones allowed to call me Terri Lynn.

I BELIEVE: pets should be a tax write off, Astroturf should be outlawed, everyone should work in retail and/or the service industry for at least a month, working on Friday should be optional, kissing makes the world go ‘round, chocolate is it’s own food group, Etta James’ version of ‘At Last’ is the most romantic song ever recorded, my beloved Chiefs will win a Super Bowl in my lifetime.

I KNOW: my decision to move to Denver is the right one.

I CAN: raise my left eyebrow, wiggle my right ear, curl my tongue, recite every line of several 80's movies: Class, Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles...

I CAN'T: raise my right eyebrow, wiggle my left ear, touch my nose with my tongue, understand Algebra...

I SEE: the bright side...most of the time.

I BLOG: to create a transcript of my life: a life of happiness, love, sadness, confusion, family, laughter, tears, beauty, fear, dishonesty, truth, comfort, understanding, silliness, learning, risk, boredom, fun, randomness, humor, spirituality, loneliness, dares, friendship, uncertainty, disappointment, triumph, survival, loyalty and strength.

I READ: the last page first. Well, ‘first’ isn’t technically accurate since I finish the first chapter, then flip to the back and read the final paragraph. I’ve no idea why or when I started doing it, but I’ve done it for as long as I can remember.

I AM AROUSED BY: intelligence, kindness, humor, humility, strength, trust, compassion, cuddles, honesty, flirting, romance, self-awareness, confidence, listening, communication, stability, unexpected kisses, understanding, mutual respect, broad shoulders and a great ass.

IT PISSES ME OFF: at work when my ideas, opinions, or instructions are discounted by some male contractors simply because I’m female, yet when my male engineer says the same thing, he’s never questioned.

I FIND: freedom, comfort and strength in the infinite support of my family and friends.

I LIKE: "...Pina Coladas, getting caught in the rain, making love at midnight in the dunes of the Cape..."

I LOVE: speeding down the highway with the top down, radio blaring, sun shining and the wind blowing through my hair.

4 Comments:

Blogger afromabq said...

awwww girlfriend, that was awesome. as i was reading i was thinking "why didn't i say that!!" i'm aquarius so that's our first connection, water! i sing everywhere, and if i'm not singing, i'm humming. one of my girlfriends finds it very annoying and will tell me "you're humming!!" i don't even know i'm doing it.

i will turn on my shower, and then go iron my clothes so that my bathroom is not and steamy. i'm a true waster of water but i love steamy bathrooms in the morning at 5:00 a.m. and gloria....she did have it right!!

awesome post kc!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Carl Spackler said...

one of your best posts EVER. that was great. what got me was the mentioning of the song Brandy. that was the favorite song of a girl i used to date..and since then its stuck in my head as well.

"Brandy, you're a fine girl
What a good wife you would be
But my life, my lover, my lady
Is the sea"

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're awesome. i love the way you write.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Oh, our beloved Chiefs will make the Super Bowl Ter. In fact, I predict we're going to the playoffs this year.

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home