Thursday, June 22, 2006

Hi, I'm kcterrilynn and I'm a blog slacker

There is no excuse for my slacker-ness. I heartily apologize for not updating sooner.

I got back Tuesday night from my latest trip to Denver. My goal was to find a job and an apartment. I found one (an apartment) but not the other (job). Not to worry, I'm sure it'll come around. It's looking like I'll be making the move in early/mid August. Sweet Jesus, that's coming up fast isn't it? Lordy!!

I spent the weekend camping. Yes, you read that right. Camping. My pampered ass slept on the ground. In a tent. To quote the Gilligan's Island song: no phones, no lights, no motor cars, not a single luxury. Actually, it wasn't as bad as it could've been. The setting was gorgeous; we were about 2 hours south of Colorado Springs at 9200 feet, staring right at the Continental Divide. Unbelievable scenery. The company could've been better, but the view was worth it.

My return flight was a fuckin' nightmare. I had Conner and Cole sitting behind me. (I only know their names because every five seconds it was Cole this! or Conner that!) Cute kids, but Christ on a cracker, if ConnerCole kicked my seat one more time or whined because they couldn't watch their DVD during take-off, I wasn't going to be held responsible. It was the longest hour and ten minute flight on record. About 4o minutes in I was wishing for a couple of Benadryl to spike their orange juice with, you know? There should be kid flights and non-kid flights.

Once back in KC, it took another 40 minutes for the parking shuttle to show up. It was almost 10:30pm when I finally got to my car. Driving home, my life flashed before my eyes. I'm not kidding. Fucking road construction that's been going on for close to 6 years on one stretch of highway. I was cruising along, top down, radio blaring and out of no where, there are brake lights in front of me. I was going close to 70 mph and stood on my brakes. There was no where for me to go, traffic in the left lane, concrete barricades on my right, and an F-250 bearing down from behind. Over the radio, I heard my own tires squealing as I came to a stop. Then all I could do was watch the headlights of the truck behind me get closer and closer. Thankfully, he stopped in time and everything ended up being okay. Eventually, traffic cleared in the left lane and I was able to go around a disabled van. I swear, my heart beat didn't return to normal for the better part of 10 minutes. Seriously, what jackass decided it was a good idea to have two lanes of highway sandwiched in between concrete barriers that leaves no room to get the fuck out of the way?! Needless to say, I was more than ready to pour a glass (or two) of my favorite Pinot I left chilling in the 'fridge before I left town.

Now it's back to real life...bummer.

3 Comments:

Blogger afromabq said...

yes thankfully!!

camping huh? i'm not sure if this "pampered ass" could get off the ground if it had to sleep there, so kudos to you for stepping out of your comfort zone! good luck w/the job hunt kc.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Carl Spackler said...

crikey!! i'm glad you are ok. i've been in a similar situation where you are trapped on every side with no room to turn. its very scary. it also doesn't help that i'm claustherphobic so when that happens my road rage suddenly appears. that leads to obscene jestures, foul language...all sorts of good stuff. anyway, hope you have a great (relaxing) weekend.

Carl S.

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome that you found an apartment. i wish i had your guts.

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home