Monday, March 13, 2006

A store by any other name...

While lunching on The Plaza last week with my friend Tina, we started talking about how the shopping district has turned into chain-store hell. The Plaza used to be filled with local, special shops and the occasional chain store. Now, it's The Gap, Victoria's Secret, Barnes & Noble, Armaini Exchange, Eddie Bauer, Pottery Barn, Banana Republic, Restoration Hardware as far as the eye can see. Don't get me wrong, I love some of these stores, but I miss the old ones. Which led us to the fact that the Saks Fifth Avenue store, which has been on The Plaza for 30 years closed.

Tina: I'd like to see us get...um, crap. I can't think of the name...It's in Dallas...has two words, starts with 'M'...

kctl: Mother Fucker? Hell, I'd shop there just to get a bag with 'mother fucker' emblazoned on the side.

Tina: Ha! Genius! Now that's a place I'd like to work. Can you imagine? "Thanks for calling Mother Fucker." "Mother Fucker. How can I help you?"

kctl: "Thanks for shopping Mother Fucker."

Now that's a store I'd patronize, regardless of what it sold.

(The store she was thinking of was Nieman Marcus...not nearly as entertaining as Mother Fucker, if you ask me. The Plaza really missed the boat on that one.)

7 Comments:

Blogger afromabq said...

definitely not as entertaining!

where'd you get those shoes??

MF, where else!!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Carl Spackler said...

rock chalk jayhawk.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Robb said...

Great idea for a store!!!

Happy belated Birthday!

I'm back and just catching up.

10:35 AM  
Blogger SJ said...

Haha that's funny!

One of our sutomers is a company called Gorgeous. I love calling them, to hear the receptionist answer "Good morning Gorgeous!"

1:33 PM  
Blogger Vixen said...

Privately Owned, Unique, One of a kind stores rock. While I also love some chain stores, it's only because of the huge discounts they offer. I'd take a mom and pop store over a chain anyday!

8:58 PM  
Blogger honkeie said...

My old town has become the same thing. The only mom and pop kinda store left is the hardware store. Everything else is the chain-gang variety.

12:19 PM  
Blogger kcterrilynn said...

honkie- 'chain-gang variety...' I like that.

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home