Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Changes in altitudes, changes in attitude

I love airports. Going away, coming home, excessivley long layovers or barely enough time to my connection, it doesn't matter; I really love airports. I love to watch and wonder about the people around me. I see arrival and departure gates as beginnings and endings for millions of stories, all types of stories: short, long, sad, exciting, tiring, spontaneous... The rumpled businessman obsessively checking his messages: did he make the deal or was it a wasted trip? The talkative group of high school students: heading out on a class ski trip or maybe competing for a National title in debate? The stressed out mom wrangling three young children: visiting out-of-state grandparents or bound for Disneyland? The emotional lovers kissing good-bye: leaving on a short trip or maybe a long distance couple being separated for months? The wistful looking woman travelling alone: heading to a new life or saying good-bye to an old one?

I love the arrival/departure boards. I love to scan the myriad places listed and add them to the travel wishlist in my head. I love having the full spector of human emotions on display at the gates. Arrival gates generally mean wide smiles, exuberant hugs, and excited welcomes. When I lived in Tampa the best part of my trips home to KC was seeing C & L, their little noses pressed against the divider glass, each trying to be the first to spot me in the crowded terminal. Once they did, they'd come running to me with their small arms reaching to be picked up, kissed and cuddled. Hugging those kids in the middle of the airport always represented home for me. Departure gates, on the other hand, usually draw out anxious faces, teary eyes and fierce hugs. The worst part my trips home was as the plane was taking off an intense wave of homesickness would hit me. I felt as if home was being taken from me and I could only watch as it got smaller and smaller. Truthfully the feeling never lasted longer than a few minutes before I was looking forward to getting back to my Florida life. Still, even the sadness of leaving doesn't change my love of airports.

I love the 'first day of vacation' rush I get when I board a plane that's heading anywhere...anywhere but here, if only for a week or so. Whether it's somewhere new or a place I've been dozens of times before, the feelings are the same: excitement, anticipation, adventure, eagerness... In roughly 36 hours I will be sitting at the airport impatiently waiting for my vacation to start. A 10-day vacation in Denver to kick back, relax, breath crisp high-altitude air, marvel at the mountains, and enjoy the world's greatest margaritas on the deck of The Rio. Ten days to shop Pearl St. in Boulder, soak up the sun at the Buffalo Rose, sit by the creek at Evergreen Winery eating antipasto while sipping their exceptional Private Label Pinot Grigo, or maybe even head two hours South for a vacation-within-a-vacation in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. Most of all, it's 10 days to catch up with Dawn, one of my best friends. Ten days that haven't even started yet and I'm already wishing it was a longer trip.

1 Comments:

Blogger afromabq said...

i love people watching...isn't that why we're bloggers? kinda the same.

denver is so fun, with so much to do, but i'm kinda partial to colorado springs and it's surroundings. they have amazing b&b's around there. have fun kc! (what an understatment huh?) :)

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home